Follow by Email

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Open Letter (ish) to Carly Rae Jepsen

Alright. This is probably about to get heated. I've seen these ads awhile back and have been a bit busy to write my feeling about them. So here it goes!

The Candies Foundation teamed up with pop singer Carly Rae Jepsen to create some eye catching PSA's about teen pregnancy. Carly Rae is the "Call Me Maybe" singer. I know, the song is now stuck in your head. I'm sorry...i'm so so sorry.

 
Hey Carly I have an idea. Why don't you pick up the phone and call Justin Bieber's mom and tell her she didn't change the world. She was a teen mom and had a pop star. A pop star who in fact PUT YOU ON THE MAP. Just saying. Because taking care of our children and learning an important human lesson of responsibility isn't changing the world right? Because the teen mom's who wipe butts, clean, cook, go to high school, go to college, and work more than you have in your entire life aren't changing the world.
 
Let me tell you something my dear. With every genius in history comes a mother. Sometimes they are young. Sometimes they are in their thirties, the way society wants it. And sometimes they are in their forties. EVERY mother is changing the world. But I guess you can't understand what this means considering you aren't a mother.
 
And let me get a little bitter here. Please enlighten me on how YOU are changing the world. And fake, photo op "charity work" doesn't count. Doing PSA's like this doesn't count. "Creating" cookie cutter pop music is hardly changing the world for the good.
 
I want you to think about all your teen mom fans out there that you have humiliated and put down. What about all the pregnant teens who adore you? Don't you "love your little jepsies!" (I just gagged a little in my mouth) We are told we aren't worthy to be parents enough on a day to day basis. And while we shouldn't let words get us down, some days it's hard not to.
 
We are MOM's. PERIOD. End of story. But more importantly, we are people. We are humans. We deserve respect. We deserve to be embraced. And no I'm not saying to get pregnant as a teen. And if that's what you got out of this rant you fail. no offense. :)
Don't coward behind this PSA. I dare you to actually talk to a teen mom, face to face, and tell her she hasn't changed the world.

love
An actual Young mom.
 
 
 
BOOM

2 comments:

  1. You go, girl!
    And as teen mom's go, you're TOTES my FAVE!
    (haha do you feel like a reality TV star now?)
    I jest. But really, you are totally my fave.

    ReplyDelete